If you are considering adopting one of our pets, this is how the process works:
1. You have found THE ONE you would like either by searching our website or visiting our Adoption Center. Maybe you have an idea of what you want and need help finding them or clarifying what would work best for your situation. You may want to talk with one of the volunteers at the center or call the phone line for specific information – (585) 338-9175.
2. When you are ready, fill out the application completely. The more information we have the better we can help you and ensure the success of the adoption. The application does not commit you to anything, but we request that you be serious about adopting. It sometimes takes a great deal of volunteer time to process an application. If you do not hear from us within 48 hours of submitting an online application, please contact us to make sure that we received it.
3. We check references. By filling out the application, you give us permission to call your veterinarian to be sure any other pets have had appropriate care and their vaccinations have been kept up to date.
4. We wait a minimum of 24 hours to be sure that you have time to think about the cost and commitment of adoption.
5. Sometimes there are multiple applications for the same pet. This can make it difficult for all involved. We strive to make the best decision for the pet and you.
6. You may get a phone call to clarify information and answer any questions.
7. If you get the news that you may adopt, we will advise you about items you need to bring with you (for example, a cat carrier, the adoption fee). We will set up a mutually agreeable time for the adoption.
8. You are encouraged to call with any questions or problems and to let us know how things are going.